Your liver processes and remove toxins from your body. It also breaks down fats and manages glucose (sugar ) levels. So it is a very important organ. A toxic liver can cause bloating, headaches, fatigue, and acne.
The liver has various important functions:
- It makes and secretes bile to help your body absorb fats and fat-soluble vitamins (A, D, E and K)
- It metabolizes and stores carbohydrates, fats, sugars, vitamins for energy and brain function.
- It breaks down harmful chemicals (bilirubin and ammonia) produced by the body to keep you healthy.
- It manufactures proteins to help maintain blood filtration and flow.
- It breaks down hormones, detoxifies water and removes drugs, alcohol and environmental toxins
- And it filters waste products from your blood.
With such an important job we all should take better care our liver. Ways to help your liver cleanse itself include:
- Minimizing alcohol and caffeine consumption
Alcohol and caffeine are responsible for liver damage, by reducing or eliminating these from your diet will help your liver detox.
- Minimize sugar, fat, and processed food
- Increase raw fruit and vegetable intake
Leafy greens, legumes, fruit, whole grains are great food to eat.
- Increase water intake
Increased water will cause urination, and that will help cleanse the toxins in your liver
Great foods to eat to help your liver:
Whole grains: Brown Rice, Old Fashioned Oatmeal, Barley
Turmeric: used in curry and pickles
Cilantro: reduces mercury levels
Rosemary: Helps enhance liver detoxification
Berries: Raspberries, Blackberries, Strawberries, blueberries, Eat them alone or in a dessert or in a smoothie, or added to your cereal
Yogurt: Greek yogurt or parfaits or regular yogurt it is good for you
Legumes ( Beans) Nuts and Seeds : Mix them in a salad or eat them in a trail mix.
Soy: Eat edamame. (It makes a great snack)
Red Grapes: Freeze them and eat it for a snack or add it to tuna salad
Garlic and Onions: Garlic helps remove heavy metals from the liver
Broccoli, Cauliflower, Brussel Sprouts, Cabbage, Kale, Collards, bok choy, watercress, Beets, Carrots, Red Onions
Apples: The pectin in the apple helps reduce the load of filtration on the liver
Eggs: helps metabolize fats and improve liver health
Grapefruit: help in a natural detoxification of the liver
Dandelion Greens, Mustard Greens: promote production and flow of bile. This is Great for liver detox!
Lemon Juice: Cleanses and detoxifies the digestive tract and balances the PH
Not only will these foods help you feel great, they also taste good. These are great foods to eat every day. They can be mixed together to make a bigger impact. Try my recipe for Roasted vegetables or edamame Guacamole dip, Massaged kale or make an egg salad sprinkle some turmeric in it, put it on whole wheat bread with greens and now you have a major liver detox lunch!